Image 1 of 1
Since it was built in 1920 by Chapman and Oxley architects, the Leuty Lifeguard Station has helped to save thousands of lives. Over the years it has been moved four times to keep it close to Lake Ontario's edge. During the 1980's the Leuty had fallen into disrepair and was threatened with demolition. Local residents formed S.O.S. (Save Our Station), and enough money was raised to restore the structure. It has since been declared an important historic site by the Toronto (Canada) Historical Board.